Our monthly updates are a great way for us to reflect on what we’ve done each month, and to let you know all about the different types of work we do in the sector. Of course, this is just a snapshot of the work that we do, and if you would like to have a chat about how we can help you with your challenges, then please do get in touch.
Empowering Others Through Training
Earlier this month, we delivered a full day workshop on social media for the international recruitment and admissions team at Northumbria University.
— Dave Horan (@Dave_Horan2) March 28, 2015
The University of Manchester was the location for another of our client workshops this month. Tracy hosted a half-day session with academics who were interested in using social media for research communications.
Content Strategy for Research Communications
We have also been continuing our work to develop a website content strategy for the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute’s new website. This work is delivered in partnership with our close colleagues at NewCity in the USA who are developing a completely new and original website for the Institute.
A Front Page Splash
Tracy made the front page of the most recent edition of CASE CURRENTS magazine. The magazine is read by over 19,000 advancement professionals in education around the world. Tracy’s article on comedy and humour in education marketing and communications can be read in the magazine or online here.
Sharing and Absorbing Knowledge at Home & Overseas
Hobsons held their annual Hobsons University EMEA conference for clients who use their CRM products. Tracy and Ellie were invited along to give a presentation on creating great content including a few of our favourite examples of content marketing such as Pampers, Red Bull, Pedigree and After Eight. You can see the Prezi here.
Tracy, John and Robert headed out to Austin, Texas for SXSW Interactive – a regular event in the Pickle Jar calendar. Highlights included a great talk by Jonah Peretti, founder of BuzzFeed, on his company’s history and plans for the future; some interesting insights into profession-specific social media platforms such as Edmodo and Doximity; a revealing panel featuring the creators of Yik Yak; and a very intriguing exploration of how the content team at Pinterest chooses exactly what words work for them.
And Ellie attended BCU’s #RethinkMedia conference, which this year was part of Birmingham Digital week. It included a panel session with vloggers, and was hosted by Jason Bradbury of Gadget Show fame who is now a visiting lecturer at the University of Lincoln.
Launching New Ventures: Introducing Utterly Content Ltd
Amidst all this, Tracy launched Utterly Content – a new company dedicated to content marketing beyond the education sector to build on the success of Pickle Jar Communications. If you know anyone who would benefit from our expertise and support outside of education then please point them in our direction and we promise to make them utterly content. You may also find the company’s Twitter updates useful as we share lots of content about content strategy, content marketing and content production.
Looking ahead to April…
…there’s already a busy month lined up:
- We’re getting started on three new significant client projects: conducting audience research for a fundraising campaign; audience research and persona development to inform content strategy and digital developements for a university; and developing a content strategy and channel plan for a university’s social media activity.
- Tracy is heading off to Singapore to speak at the CASE Asia Pacific Annual Conference;
- Tracy then moves onward to Thailand to run a digital strategy workshop in Bangkok (before returning and running the London Marathon 3 days later);
- Ellie is attending and speaking at the Association of Heads of University Administration (AHUA) Spring Conference as part of our continuing work on their communications strategy and support;
- Tracy will be heading to Brighton on the 30th April and 1st May for the CASE Europe Social Media and Community Conference, where she’ll be delivering two sessions, including a plenary session.
We hope to see some of you there!