United World Colleges (UWC) is a family of 17 schools around the world. UWCs share a mission to work towards global peace and sustainability by bringing together young people from all walks of life for an education experience like no other.
While UWC provides bursaries and scholarships to a significant majority of its students, a parallel application route – the Global Selection Programme (GSP) – was introduced for those without the need for funding support to apply to the 16-19 IB Diploma Programme, thus freeing up National Committees to instead focus on students who do need financial support.
In 2018, Pickle Jar Communications was appointed to design and implement a digital marketing campaign in target countries to raise the profile of the GSP.
Our work included:
– Designing campaign landing pages specifically for advertising activity
– Developing a lead generation campaign by producing a series of “useful guides” that require a visitor to provide their email address to sign up to receive them
– Running social media and search advertising, in particular through Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube and Google AdWords
– Supporting organic social media, with particular success seen in our use of Instagram stories to drive downloads of the useful guides, and thus lead capture
– Influencer outreach encouraging online influencers and other relevant groups to share our content, or work with us on original content to reach their followers online
– SEO and content marketing activity driven by creating a series of blog posts aligned to key phrase research insights, and designed to be useful to our parents and students
– Running email campaigns with content targeted at those who had opted-in through downloading useful guides or through social media advertising lead generation campaigns, as well as creating encouragement emails for those who have started but not yet completed application forms.
Our work helped to drive tens of thousands of new prospects to the UWC website, create a database of “warm” leads, and support applicants in their decision-making. Above all, it provided a basis and content bank for future promotional activity.