Current vacancy: Marketing and Events Manager
Applications for this role are now open. Closing date for applications is Monday 25th November. Apply here.
Interviews to be held in Newcastle W/C 2 December 2019.
Please contact Michael Richardson, Senior Content Strategist and Business Development Manager, with any questions about this role.
|Salary and benefits||£20,000-£30,000 full time salary
£1,000 personal “perks” allowance
Company pension contributions
Flexible working culture
|Location||Newcastle upon Tyne office (remote working would be considered for the right candidate)
Occasional national and international travel will be required
|Working hours||Full-time (39 hours per week)|
|Reporting to||Business Development Manager|
Purpose of role
Pickle Jar Communications is a leading content strategy consultancy, offering specialist
communications, digital and content strategy support to the education sector. Most of our work focuses on digital communications and marketing, advising education-sector clients on website content considerations, social media activity and content operations.
This role will report to the Business Development Manager and lead on the development and implementation of marketing activities to support the promotion of Pickle Jar Communications and lead generation to support sales.
This includes leading on event management, marketing and promotion for a range of events and conferences, including the ContentEd conference and awards, as well as, Utterly Content, our new annual conference for content professionals in non-education sectors (new for 2020).
This role will also lead on planning and delivery of other income generation activities such as one-day workshops and online training programmes and opportunities.
1. Event planning and promotion
Pickle Jar Communications owns and operates a number of events and conferences throughout the year, including the annual ContentEd conference and awards, and the new Utterly Content conference. All members of the team contribute to the success of these events and the ongoing relationships with the community that are developed around them. This role will have primary responsibility for pre-event planning, promotion and event management. Specifically, you will contribute to this by:
– Leading on the event management for all conferences and events including venue research, managing contracts, venue liaison, pre-conference planning and logistics
– Supporting event and conference programme development and scheduling, and managing relationships and communications with speakers and potential speakers
– Securing and maintaining agreements and relationships with event sponsors and partners
– Managing the ContentEd awards, including liaising with judges, entrants and sponsors and associated marketing and communications
– Developing a marketing and communications plan for all of the above, and implementing marketing activity across all channels
– Leading on planning and creation of any print materials for all events and conferences including liaison with designers and printers
2. Marketing and business development
We are a growing company. This requires dedicated efforts to support how we market the companies and sell our services to our prospective clients. This role would work closely with the Business Development Manager to support the implementation of new business development activities and lead our on-going marketing and sales activity by:
– Developing and implementing marketing strategies and plans for Pickle Jar Communications, ContentEd and Utterly Content
– Coordinating publication of web content, blog posts, email communications and social media activity.
– Ensuring Pickle Jar Communications is well represented and promoted at our own events and other sector and industry events
– Leading on planning and creation of any print marketing materials including liaison with designers and printers
– Identifying and nurturing new prospects and opportunities for the company and generating new leads
– Creating regular metrics reports and making recommendations for new data-informed marketing activities for website, social, email and other marketing activity
– Supporting the development and implementation of systems to evaluate the impact of lead-generation activity and year-on-year performance
3. Supporting Others in the Team
Pickle Jar Communications is a small and close-knit team, with significant overlap in roles and projects. As such, colleagues support one another in a number of ways, in addition to the specific duties of their role. Whilst this role will primarily lead on event management and marketing, the successful candidate may occasionally be required to contribute to client projects relevant to their skills and experience. This could include, for example:
– Development of marketing plans and social media recommendations for clients
– Creating social media content for clients (or advising colleagues on best approaches)
– Carrying out social media reviews or competitor reviews
– Coordinating diaries for stakeholder meetings/phone calls with clients
– Involvement in team training activities including delivery of training as required
4. Office management duties
This role would be based in our office in Newcastle Upon Tyne. You will have responsibility for some office management tasks including:
– Answering the telephone and managing email enquiries for Pickle Jar Communications, ContentEd and Utterly Content
– Managing relationships with suppliers of office equipment and services including, for example, the office cleaning company and cleaner
– Managing office supplies/stationery orders
Who would be a great fit for this role?
The perfect candidate for this role will have:
– A passion for event management, sales and marketing, and the education sector
– Over 2 years experience of working in a digital marketing or event management role, preferably in the education sector or a related industry
– An audience-centred approach to planning content, marketing and communications strategies and plans
– The drive and creativity to try new ideas and develop new models of working to generate interest in our work and drive enquiries and sales
– The ability to work independently and as part of a team, switching between the two with comfort and ease
– Excellent project management and time management skills
– The ability to develop and implement project plans, marketing plans and budgets
– An understanding of legislation around data protection
Your previous roles may have included a blend of some of the following activities:
– Event planning, management or support
– Budget management
– Developing paid digital advertising campaigns, and implementing campaigns on channels such as Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Google.
– Working on content planning and/or creation for a range of platforms and channels from websites to email to social media to print
– Developing strategies and plans for digital communications, perhaps including the development of a content marketing plan or a social media strategy or campaign