Current vacancy: Senior Content Strategist
Application deadline: 17:00 (GMT), 22 March 2019.
Interviews to be held in Newcastle on Friday 29 March 2019.
Please contact Ellie Lovell, Head of Content Strategy and Planning, with any questions about this role.
|Salary and benefits||£30,000-£40,000 full time salary
£1,000 personal “perks” allowance
Company pension contributions
Flexible working culture
|Location||Newcastle upon Tyne office (remote working would be considered for the right candidate)
Occasional national and international travel will be required
|Working hours||Full-time (39 hours per week)|
|Reporting to||Head of Content Strategy and Planning|
Purpose of role
Pickle Jar Communications is a leading content strategy consultancy, offering specialist communications, digital and content strategy support to the education sector. Most of our work focuses on digital communications and marketing, advising education-sector clients on website content considerations, social media activity and content operations.
Content strategy is a broad discipline that manages the design, creation, distribution and governance of content in a way that is useful to and usable by target audiences, and understandable by intelligent systems (such as content management systems and search engines). Developing content structures, creative substance (editorial) and a clear vision for how content should be created, re-used and managed is an important role of a content strategist. As consultant strategists we also help to advise our clients on the “people” components of advancing their content operations from workflow design, to governance development, to helping them develop and grow content teams.
This is role at Pickle Jar Communications will take a lead in the design and development of client strategy projects, and managing relationships and the delivery of strategy, planning and implementation support to our clients.
1. Client Projects
– Act as a key point of contact for delegated clients, including planning and delivering communication and digital strategy support to them on an ongoing basis and ensuring continued excellent standards of service. This also includes managing ad hoc requests for support from retained clients, as well as planning ongoing activities.
– Design and develop new content strategy projects, taking specific leadership for the development of content structures (including content modelling and information architecture design), content substance (developing creative editorial ideas and campaigns, social media content plans, content marketing plans, influencing on-page content and developing style guides), and the design of governance and workflow processes.
– Present strategies, plans and ideas to clients and their internal stakeholder colleagues to ensure buy-in and successful adoption of proposed approaches.
– Design and deliver interactive and inspiring workshops and training sessions for clients, including sessions on content strategy, social media communications and marketing, and digital communications.
– Working with the Research and Insights team to establish the questions that need to be answered in order to inform the content strategy development, undertaking audience facing research when required including leading focus groups, stakeholder and audience interviews.
– Use the work and insights provided by the Research and Insights team to inform client projects.
– Play a key role in account management of all client projects, ensuring project plans are well designed and implemented in a timely manner, and clients are well communicated with.
2. Business Development
Everybody in the Pickle Jar Communications team plays an active role in supporting business development, along with our own marketing and sales activities. The Senior Content Strategist will provide support with business development activities by:
– Helping to retain positive relationships with existing clients and work with them to develop additional areas of work and new projects and opportunities
– Identifying and nurturing new prospects, developing proposals for new areas of work, including following up with people after delivering workshops and training activities to support additional work for them
– Supporting the leadership team with proposals and pitch presentations for large projects, including presenting at pitch meetings
– Contributing thought leadership articles through the company blog and social media channels
– Speaking at conferences and events to share expertise and insights with others in the sector.
3. Supporting Others in the Team
Pickle Jar Communications is a small and close-knit team, with significant overlap in roles and projects. As such, colleagues support one another in a number of ways, in addition to their roles specific duties. This will involve working on projects and deliverables for the Research and Insight team, as well as:
– Supervising the Content Strategist on projects, helping to direct their work as well as actively supporting their training, development and progression
– Involvement in team training activities, including delivery of training as required
– Support for office management and occasional admin duties, such as answering the telephone or replying to enquiries.
– Please note, from time to time the post-holder will also be asked to carry out the above duties for our sister company, Utterly Content Ltd. The duties will be broadly the same as the above, but typically on behalf of clients from sectors outside of the education sector, including private companies and charities.
4. Contributing to the ContentEd community
Pickle Jar Communications owns and manages the annual ContentEd Conference and ContentEd Awards. All members of the team work to ensure the success of these events and the ongoing relationships with the community that has built around ContentEd. This role will also contribute to this by:
– Supporting conference programme development and connecting with speakers and potential speakers
– Helping us to secure and maintain relationships with event sponsors and partners
– Supporting marketing activity for both the conference and the awards
– Helping to manage the ContentEd awards, including liaising with judges, entrants and sponsors.
Who would be a great fit for this role?
The perfect candidate for this role will have:
– A passion for content strategy and the education sector
– Over 5 years’ experience of working in a content-focused role in a digital environment, preferably in the education sector or a closely related industry
– An audience-centred approach to planning content, marketing and communications strategies and plans
– A drive to try new ideas, develop new models of working and inspire our clients with creative concepts and approaches
– A strategic and questioning mind
– The resilience to work in an environment that is constantly pushing boundaries and developing new styles and approach to our work
– The ability to work independently and as part of a team, switching between the two with comfort and ease
– Experience of line managing a team and client-handling
– Excellent project management and time management skills
– The ability to take a client brief and turn it into a full project plan, solution and budget
– The personality and know-how to design and deliver compelling training sessions, workshops and conference presentations
– The passion and belief in persuading clients and prospective clients to work with Pickle Jar Communications.
Your previous roles may have included a blend of some of the following activities:
– Ensuring an audience-led approach to content strategy and planning, including an understanding of user journeys, and use of user-insight tools and techniques
– Developing strategies and plans for digital communications, perhaps including the development of a content strategy or a content marketing plan
– Working on content planning and/or creation for a range of platforms and channels from websites to email to social media to print
– Content design
– Information architecture
– Taxonomy design
– Workshop, training or presentation design and delivery
– Stakeholder engagement and management
– Budget management.
If you are interested in applying for the role, please contact Ellie Lovell, Head of Content Strategy and Planning, with any questions.